Pages

Background

Friday, April 20, 2012

Back to the Beginning


Yeah, I have 48 hours where my only responsibility is to study, commune with God and be refreshed. As I look at this weekend and wonder where to begin, my mind breaks into song, with a little help from the input of my friend.  “Let’s start at the very beginning, a very good place to start,” and how true those words are! I’m not talking about our ABC’s and our 123’s. I’m referring to the ultimate beginning – Genesis and the creation account.

God begins with creation, and that is exactly where we need to go back to. Why did God create us? The Genesis account is very clear to the purpose, “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” (Genesis 1:27) We are created in God’s image.

So what does that mean? That means in every area of our lives we are to reflect God. The first 2 chapters of the Bible walk us through applying this principle to every area of our life.

As I listen to D.A. Caron, he brings out the point that God is creative, and we are to reflect His creativity that was displayed through creation. We each are given different responsibilities and talents that are to be the canvas we use to display our creativity. In the areas God gives each of us, we need to allow creativity to shine through and mold your task. This is why my process will never look exactly like anyone else’s.

Next we need to reflect God in our work. In verse 28 and 29, God clearly gives to Adam the work he is to accomplish. Because we are image bears for God, the attitude with which we work and the way we do our job should be done in a way that reflects God’s character.

We also need to reflect God in our role as a woman, in marriage, and motherhood. After bringing every animal before Adam, the Bible says, “But for Adam there was not found a helper fit for him.” (Genesis 2:20) At that point God makes woman. We were specifically designed; we are not just another “Adam”. So in our very being as a woman we need to reflect God. After making woman, God makes marriage and family, specifically designing two roles for woman, wife and mother. These two specific roles therefore should reflect Gods character.
Unfortunately this perfect world did not remain. Sin entered and with it came consequences that not only effected Adam and Eve, but have touched all of human kind. Whether it be in the pain of child bearing, the desire to control your husband, or the challenge of hard work, we are presented with the need of a Savior and God to depend upon. We are in need of God for an answer to our sin and the daily strength and wisdom to live our everyday lives. Let us follow the exhortation of John 15:4 and 5, “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment